My RAGBRAI Team LIVESTRONG Fundraising Page

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

#30DaysOfBiking


April is the month for 30 days  of biking! Or so a couple guys (Patrick and Zach) from the Twin Cities want you to believe.  Through Twitter, they have spread the word. And this year (it's second), over 1700 people worldwide (87 countries are represented!) agree with them and have registered to commit to riding their bike at least once a day.  Then, you're supposed to tweet, post on facebook, or write a blog post about your day. 

The 30days website is a celebration of riding and tweeting.  The home page tracks all tweets with the #30daysofbiking hashtag flying around the internets.  Patrick reported earlier today that over 100 tweets per hour are coming through.

Today, April 5th is (obviously) the 5th day of the challenge. and I am 5 for 5 so far.  As I have been doing pretty much every day since I started my new job in Madison in Feruary, I have been riding my bike part way to work and back.  (The scheduling to get the daughter to school and still get to work on time isn't working with riding all the way in.  Of course, the weather hasn't been conducive to it either.... I know, excuses, excuses.)  So, I am driving into Madison, parking then riding the rest of the way.  For now.

This past Saturday, I was able to log in a "real" ride of more than hour, covering 16.7 miles.  It was a real good ride.  A bit of wind, but a gorgeous day and it was wonderful being on the bike. Making progress towards being ready for those rides I signed up for.

On Sunday, I had hoped to get in a long ride again that day - after all I am trying to get ready for a 75K (46.6 mi) that I signed up for... and is happening in less than two weeks!  But the day was spent with the family! And there are NO regrets about that.  So, when it was time to run to the grocery store, I hopped on DB (the bike I use to commute to work on) and off we went.  The new trunk bag worked out great for hauling a few things back.

It doesn't matter if it's around the block, to the store and back, commuting to work or school, training for upcoming rides or professional racing.  Just get on the bike!  I am and I love it.

1 comment: