My RAGBRAI Team LIVESTRONG Fundraising Page

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

UPAF Ride for the Arts

No photos today, sorry....

I rode the same route for this year's UPAF Ride for the Arts as last year.  And, I suspect, I will in future years as well.  That is, I did the "75-mi" route (actually about 71.5) up to Port Washington and back.

The highlight of the ride is going over the Hoan Bridge (I-794), which the WI DOT and Milwaukee County agreed to close for the morning of the ride. This was the third year riders could traverse the span over the Milwaukee River at Lake Michigan. Prior to that, cyclists were not permitted on the bridge (and aren't during normal operations as it is a part of the interstate highway system) because of concerns about wind gusts and rider safety.

The route runs thought the northern burbs on Milwaukee (Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, Fox Point, Bayside, Mequon) and goes to Port Washington. The local law enforcement agencies and countless volunteers do a great job keeping riders safe and traffic on the open roads moving. 

The route is pretty flat, especially compared to the ride I did in Arcardia two weeks prior. Strava says I did 1240' of climbing (compared to the 5302' in Arcadia).

This year's ride was significantly slower than last year. I averaged 16.5 mph for the 71.5 miles. Last year, I was booking at 18.6 mph. It took me about 35 minutes longer this year to cover the same route. I think that reflects how much bikecommuting into Madison helped my overall fitness and strength last year. This year, working 40 miles from home, I have to try and ride at dawn (or before) and I don't get out every day. *sigh*

Anyway, it is a GREAT ride.  There were about 7500 people participating total, riding the 5, 12, 25, 50, or 75 mile courses. Lots of families doing the shorter rides. And it's for a great cause, supporting the United Performaing Arts Fund, which supports a variety of organizations in MKE, including the Milwaukee Ballet, MSO and MYSO, The Rep, Milwaukee Children's Choir, and multiple theater groups. 

Sorry for not having more details and photos. I was just chugging along for the most part. But if you read last year's report, you can get a better feel of the event.  

No comments:

Post a Comment