My RAGBRAI Team LIVESTRONG Fundraising Page

Monday, January 30, 2012

January Draws to an End

Well it is now January 30th. I am happy to report that I have not let the weather put the kibosh on my riding. And while I wish I had more time in the saddle, except for a couple of days, it hasn't been because of the weather.

As of today, I have been in the saddle 16 days, with today and tomorrow to go. Eight days of commuting between work and home; eight days on the trainer in the basement; and one day where I drove part of the way to work and rode the rest of the way. I "lost" some days when I was out of town at a conference, a couple to snowy weather, and a few to being sick. My guess is I rode at least 250 miles this month. Not bad for the middle of winter.

The weather, for the most part, has been very cooperative with bike-commuting. While the morning low temp that I rode in was about 10°F, there were a few afternoons when the temps were in the 40°s and once it was 53°! Is this Wisconsin in January?!?

A great thing about the end of January, in addition to temps getting ever so slightly warmer, is that the RAGBRAI route for the year get announced at the Iowa Bicyle Expo in Des Moines. This year's route is 471 miles from Sioux Center, in the NW corner of the state, to Clinton, just north of the Quad Cities. There are three days (Tue, Wed, Thu) that are each over 75 miles. It's a pretty flat route (11th flattest in the 40 years), with 16,125 feet of climbing over the week.

I would love to be able to ride the full week again. And encourage my readers (both of you) to consider checking it out as well.

Keep your eyes on the prize, your mind on your goals, and the rubber side down!

No comments:

Post a Comment